Board index Onkyo Europe Receivers 2016 receivers (TX-NR555 and higher models) "Media type not supported" message

"Media type not supported" message

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 am

I have just connected a new TX-NR656 connected to a NAS through my network router via an ethernet cable.

When I first plugged it in it could 'see' the media server and the folders within it but none of the video or picture files. It played music files straight out of the box. I carried out the firmware upgrade and it can now see the video and picture files but will not play them and returns the message 'media type not supported'.

The videos are mainly avi and the photos are mainly jpg or jpeg - why is it not supporting these very common files?

If I play the videos through Windows media player and stream to the 656, the sound comes through but the video is just a tiny little box on the tv and the file details.

All of the files work on both an HP and Mac laptops under multiple different media players.

What do I have to do to use this thing as intended? Very frustrated - at the moment it's a very expensive radio!

Cheers

Post Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:57 am

Hi davesdive,

the TX-NR656 onlyo supports audio files, no video or picture files over Network.
He doesnt support any video codec!!

Thats make your PC or you need an Multimedia NAS that support this.

With best regards
Kind regards
Customer Care

Pioneer & Onkyo Europe GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Susumu Shiotsuka, Kenji Maeyama, Akihiro Takada
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 44995
UST-IdNr. (VAT No).: DE 128238893

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 am

@ Onkyo Support - From your website "a cutting-edge A/V powerhouse".

One would assume that a cutting edge Audio/Visual powerhouse would support visual files!!!!!!! Poor effort and false advertising. A good thing that I found a work around but not at all happy.

Will not be buying another Onkyo product. You are now on my shit list!

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 am

Hi davesdive,

"a cutting-edge A/V powerhouse", that says nothing about that, that the receiver plays o0r support Video Files from an NAS system.
That was, i dont know, your wrong interpretation. Sorry for that.
But there stand nothing in the Manual or Datasheet that the Receiver support Video Files!!

I dont know any AV Receiver that play or support Video Files.

There you understand something wrong.

With best regards
Kind regards
Customer Care

Pioneer & Onkyo Europe GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Susumu Shiotsuka, Kenji Maeyama, Akihiro Takada
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 44995
UST-IdNr. (VAT No).: DE 128238893

Return to 2016 receivers (TX-NR555 and higher models)