Board index Onkyo Europe Onkyo Remote Apps Remote App problem

Remote App problem

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 pm

I have a problem with the app ver 1.80.150515.319 which i have on both my phone & tablet. Both running Android 4.4.2.
The app sees the receiver on the tablet but it cannot be selected and on the phone the receiver can't be seen it just hangs at the logo screen.
The receiver TX-NR636 is running firmware 2031-0110-2001-0602-0203 and has Network Standby set to ON, DHCP disable and is hard wired to the router with a fixed IP address outside of the DHCP range.
Via my PC/tablet/phone I can navigate to the receiver web page via my browser and see the network settings no problem.
UPnP is enabled on the router.
Any ideas how i can get this work. It has previously been working, nothing has changed on the network etc. but when previously working it was intermittent now it just will not connect.

Post Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 am

Hi timbo,

just try to clean the cash: open the App and go to the settings. There you can select "Initialize"
Kind regards
Customer Care

Pioneer & Onkyo Europe GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Susumu Shiotsuka, Kenji Maeyama, Akihiro Takada
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 44995
UST-IdNr. (VAT No).: DE 128238893

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 am

Hi that sorted the problem with the connection in that I can now connect to the receiver. but now the app spends a lot of time "connecting... acquiring data" when playing through DNLA (hardwired to router also). When this happens the app becomes unresponsive to most of the app controls.

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 am

Hi timbo,

we solve the connecting issue with the latest updates. Can you please specify your smartphone and tablet manufacturer and model?
Kind regards
Customer Care

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 pm

The phone is Samsung GT-19195 and the tablet is a Samsung GT-N5110. thanks

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

any chance of a response or am I stuck with a heap of junk that doesn't work as expected?

Either your app is rubbish or the firmware on the receiver is rubbish - which is it?

One thing I have noticed is that the network locks up of the AVR and I have to unplug it to get it back - total crap

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:22 am

Hi timbo,

you can try out this workaround:

- Delete the App
- Switch the iPhone off
- Unplug the internet router from power
- Reset the receiver with

1.Holding down CBL / SAT button on the unit
2. Press ON / STANDBY on the unit. "Clear" will appear on the display and the unit returns to the standby mode.

- Download the firmware from our website
- Unpack on a Windows PC
- Use an empty USB flash drive with FAT32
- Copy all files without folder (top level) on the USB flash drive
- Disconnect the network cable, switch on the device, (select language, if not already done, cancel setup-assistent)
- Wait until all services are available, that is, Network and USB may not be "gray". (about 30 sec)
- Insert USB flash drive
- Press USB input selector, and keep it pressed
- Press On/Standby button - "Update" appears on the display
- Start update by pressing ENTER
- You'll see "Update", "Download", "Writing" etc. on the display
- When the update is finished, the display shows "Completed"
- Remove USB flash
- Turn off the receiver (not by remote control, press button on the receiver)
- Turn on after a few seconds

- Turn on the router
- Turn on the iPhone
- Wait until your network is ready
- Reinstall the App
Kind regards
Customer Care

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:17 pm

undertook the above actions. At least it will now connect between app and avr. However "acquiring Data" is still a feature. If you select "now playing" it tries unsuccessfully to acquire data. Once you get "acquiring data" the app becomes unresponsive.
the only way to stop the music is to change source.
So I would say either the app or firmware still need fixing :D
How come it is so difficult to build a simple TCP connection client/server connection?

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Timbo,

Did you ever get the bottom of this one with Onkyo or through your own research? I also own a 636 which I am having problems with the app hanging when I try to get Zone2 outputs working. Same outcome for me was that I had to disconnect the amp from the mains before the app would connect to it again... very frustrating. I found the app to be working OK until I got to chose sources for the Zone1/2 music playback - then it locks everything up....

Thanks for any additional information you might have found in the last few months :-)
Sime

Return to Onkyo Remote Apps